small business articles

Taxes on Individuals & Families

Maximize Deductions After A Fire, Flood or Tornado


If you were unfortunately the victim if a fire, flood, or tornado. and your home, vehicle, or other personal property is damaged or destroyed by a sudden, unexpected casualty, an itemized tax deduction may help ease the financial burden.


In most cases, you claim a casualty loss in the taxable year the calamity strikes. However, if you're in a presidentially declared disaster area, you have the option of amending your prior year return, thereby getting tax relief sooner.

Either way, you will want to calculate the amount of your loss to receive the maximum benefit.  Here's what you need to do.

1. File an insurance claim. If your property is insured, file a timely claim. Otherwise, you'll only be able to take a deduction for the part of the loss that isn't covered by insurance.

2. Get an appraisal. An appraisal determines the decline in fair market value caused by the casualty. Tax rules require that you measure the difference between what your home or property would have sold for before the damage and the probable sales price afterward. Your loss is the lesser of this decline or your adjusted basis in the property.

3. Establish basis. Generally, your home's adjusted basis is what you paid for it, plus improvements. If your records were lost in the casualty, recreate them using reasonable estimates or the best information you have.

4. Keep receipts for repairs. In some situations, repairs you make to restore your property to its pre-casualty condition can be used as an indicator of the decline in the fair market value.

The aftermath of a casualty is often a stressful time. Dugan & Lopatka can help you resolve the tax issues. Please give us a call.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Ask a question

Ask Accounting Questions | Ask Tax Questions | Elk Grove Village Accounting Firm

By Dugan Lopatka - Accountants for Midsize Businesses in Chicago:  CPAs for Small Businesses

  • Addison
  • Aurora
  • Bartlett
  • Batavia
  • Bensenville
  • Bloomingdale
  • Bolingbrook
  • Burr Ridge
  • Carol Stream
  • Chicago
  • Clarendon Hills
  • Darien
  • Downers Grove
  • Elgin
  • Elk Grove Village
  • Geneva
  • Glen Ellyn
  • Glendale Heights
  • Hanover Park
  • Hinsdale
  • Hoffman Estates
  • Itasca
  • Joliet
  • Lemont
  • Lisle
  • Lombard
  • Montgomery
  • Naperville
  • North Aurora
  • Oakbrook
  • Oakbrook Terrace
  • Oswego
  • Plainfield
  • Romeoville
  • Roselle
  • St. Charles
  • Schaumburg
  • Streamwood
  • Villa Park
  • Warrensville
  • West Chicago
  • Western Springs
  • Westmont
  • Wheaton
  • Willowbrook
  • Winfield
  • Wood Dale
  • Woodridge

Dugan & Lopatka, CPAs, PC, 104 E. Roosevelt Road, Wheaton, Illinois 60187 -MAP- T: (630) 665-4440 Fax: (630) 665-5030